Canada’s fastest growing public affairs firm is recruiting a Research Analyst to support clients in the areas of transportation, infrastructure and energy and assist the Toronto office with broad public affairs services.
We are looking for someone who has strong writing and research skills, and good knowledge and a keen interest in the key policy areas listed above. Provincial and municipal government knowledge is required, direct experience in either is an asset in this entry level position.
It is important to be client service-oriented, organized when dealing with all kinds of projects, and have strong communication skills. This position offers a positive, team based work environment and the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues across the country.
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. We appreciate your interest; only qualified candidates will be contacted.
DETAILED ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Research and Writing
- Deliver policy and issue-based research for reports and thought leadership pieces.
- Undertake research to develop briefing notes on issues specific to clients’ needs.
- Take minutes during weekly team calls and client calls.
- Assist in the development of presentations and proposals for clients.
- Manage the internal contact lists.
Provincial: Parliamentary Affairs and Media Monitoring
- Monitor Queens Park activity relevant to client files. This includes liaising with the Committee Clerk as needed and drafting briefing notes for distribution to clients.
- Daily media monitoring, including the production of daily press clippings.
- Track legislation and private member’s bills related to client files, and prepare briefing notes based on clients’ needs.
- Coordinate and assist in the drafting of parliamentary updates sent to clients (budgets, Speeches from the Throne, Cabinet shuffles, end of session updates, etc.).
- Organize client meetings and coordinate follow up (assist in the preparation of contact plans, meeting agendas, briefing materials, etc.).
Municipal: City Hall Tracking and Media Monitoring
- Monitor municipal activity in the jurisdictions relevant to client files.
- Daily media monitoring and monitoring of City hall agendas.
- Track specific motions in those jurisdictions related to client files, and prepare briefing notes based on clients’ needs.
- Attend Council meetings as necessary.
- Coordinate and assist in the drafting of updates sent to clients.
- Assist with the drafting of communications material for events organized by clients, including editing and reviewing.
- Help coordinate and execute events for clients (ex. meeting programs/press conferences).
- Assist with media relations and social media for events organized for clients.
- Provide media and issues analysis as required by clients.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A bachelor’s degree in political science, communications, business or a related field.
- Familiarity or experience with political and legislative processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Flexible and able to adapt to changing conditions and client demands.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to multi-task, while being results oriented.
- Must be accountable, reliable and professional.
- Must be able to “switch gears” quickly and adapt to a changing environment.
- Background in transportation, infrastructure or energy sector is an asset.
- Experience with formatting and design an asset.
- Bilingual in French and English is an asset.